Wednesday, June 26, 2013

How To: Eton Mess-A Classic British Dessert

It seems very fitting, during Wimbledon week in the UK, to post my favorite (and easiest British dessert), Eton Mess.  I fell in love with it at the Short family's house (along with some of my other favorite things like cheese feast and game night).  My "recipe" does not do the original any justice, but when I can't get the original, this has to be the next best thing.  

I first had Eton Mess on the Isle of Wight before I was a teenager and I remember it was enough to scare me off for years, too sweet, rotten berries, yuck.  My first taste of Louise's was like a rich and creamy cloud and I was hooked.  See below for my variation made at my Dad's and with Christopher's help!

 The ingredients are: strawberries (the riper the better), heavy cream (or in England "double cream"), sugar, and meringues (either one large or about 10 small ones). 
 1. Wash and hull the strawberries.
2. Macerate the strawberries for as long as possible.  Preferably an hour or so to allow the berries to soften and incorporate the sugar. 

 3. Get ready for the fun part! Breaking up the meringues! You can be as messy as possible. 
Tip: The larger meringues are nice because they have a gooey center which tastes almost like a marshmellow. 
 4. Beat the heavy cream for about 2 minutes, or until it forms stiff peaks. 
5. Layer the finished ingredients in single serving bowls; alternating between strawberries, meringue pieces, and cream. 
 6. Finish until you are out of ingredients and either refrigerate to chill or serve immediately. 
I hope that you can make this dessert to share with your family and friends this summer!

Laura x

No comments:

Post a Comment